I found/tried this recipe last week and was really pleased with how it all turned out.
There were a few things that I did differently due to our likes/tastes.
I omitted the cumin that was called for in the original recipe due to the fact it makes me quite ill.
Red pepper was used in place of that spice and I do not like to use salt in my cooking so I used onion powder.
The biggest was done on error but gave me a wonderful result and that would be using tomato paste. You can use the tomato sauce if you would like just reduce done the amount of water to 1 1/2 cups.
Excellent results and I will be making my own from this point on.
* Exported from MasterCook *
Ten Minute Enchilada Sauce
Recipe By: Brandi T
Serving Size : 8
Categories : sauces
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons self rising flour
1/4 cup chili powder
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
6 ounces tomato paste
1 teaspoon red pepper
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir in flour, chili power and red pepper reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.
- Gradually stir in tomato paste, water, garlic powder and onion powder into the flour and chili powder until smooth - continue cooking over medium heat.
- Approx. 10 minutes or until thickened to your desire.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper to taste.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving: 30 Calories; 1g Fat (18.1% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 208mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat.
You can use 1 - 8 ounce can of tomato sauce and this will reduce serving size to 6.
Great tasting sauce!
Easy to make and so much better than the canned stuff.
This is a bit on the thicker side but you can add more water to thin it down some.