After our Christmas dinner DH mentioned to me that we should try to make some soup with what was left with the ham.
Sounded like a plan!
At that point I knew that I would be using a bag of navy beans that has been sitting in our cabinet for quite some time.
Next up was to find a recipe.
Used my BigOven App and searched for a navy bean soup recipe.
The recipe found below was the first one I found, decided to use it and I am so glad that I did.
This soup is absolutely perfect and has already been added to my recipe book to make again, and again.
You will not be sorry.
I used the servings as one cup but you could easily double that per serving.
This soup is great for this time of year.
original recipe from BigOven (I found the online site)
* Exported from MasterCook *
U.S. Navy Bean Soup
Recipe by: LadyJay
Serving Size : 11 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soups
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound navy beans -- soaked
1/2 pound ham bones -- or ham
3 quarts water
1 cup mashed potatoes -- prepared
2 cloves garlic -- chopped
2 stalks celery -- chopped
2 tablespoons parsley -- chopped or dried
1/2 large onion -- chopped fine
- Soak beans overnight and rinse.
- Place in large stock pot with ham/ham bone or bacon ends
- Add 3 quarts of water.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 2 hrs. (the longer you simmer-the more flavor you will have)
- Stir in mashed potatoes, onions, celery, garlic and parsley.
- Simmer another 1-2 hours.
- Remove meat/bone and dice meat.
- Return meat to soup, stir and serve.
"Big Oven App"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving: 212 Calories; 5g Fat (20.3% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 22mg Cholesterol; 78mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.
Nice crusty bread on the side
* I added some pepper in while the soup was cooking.
When I removed the ham bone, I placed the beans and broth in a crock pot to finish cooking.